10 Tips on how to promote your blog posts after you hit publish plus links to another 295 tips [UPDATED FOR 2017]
19 Sep 2017
How to promote your blog content and news articles
This blog post did really well when we first published it 3 years ago in 2014. So we’ve updated it for 2017.
Okay you’ve spent hours researching, crafting and polishing the perfect blog post and you’ve hit the publish button.
So now all you have to do is sit and wait for all the lovely traffic to pour in right?
Now you need to start actively promoting it and engage with new readers.
Here’s 10 tips to help you promote your blog post
1. Make sure you choose a compelling title for your blog post. Something people will want to click on.
2. Promote via social networks. Tweet to Twitter. Post to Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn. Images and infographics to Instagram and Pinterest. Videos to YouTube etc.
3. Take your blog post, turn it into a pdf and upload to SlideShare and other document sharing websites. This works well for ‘how-to’, ‘lists’ and ‘top 10’ type blog posts.
4. Feature and link to influential websites, blogs and brands in your market from within your blog post. And let those people know on social media that you’ve featured them in your blog post. They’ll most likely reward you by sharing and re-tweeting (IF your content is good enough though).
5. If your blog post contains statements, facts and figures, make sure you back them up with references and quotes from experts in this niche. Include a ‘click to tweet’ option for quotes. Then again let those people know via Twitter etc that you’ve featured them.
6. Get to know who the authorities in your market are. Network with them. Share their content. This again will get you noticed and could generate some ‘shares’ from them.
7. Make sure you encourage your readers to share your blog post. Place social share buttons at the bottom of your blog post (you could include share buttons at the top too). And ask people to share.
8. If you have a database of email subscribers make sure you do a mail shot each time you publish a new blog post.
9. Find forums in your niche and become part of the community. Join in with conversations, offer help and advice but don’t over-promote your blog posts just yet. And take the time to read the forum rules first.
10. Make sure you re-share your blog post again across various social networks. Use the image below as a guide on how often to share across Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Tumblr.
The original source of this image can be seen across at Search Engine Journal in this post Traffic generation for blogs on a budget
And the additional 295 tips I promised are…
30 Little-Known Ways To Promote A Blog Post In 2017 by Joey Barker at Unfunnel.
How to Promote Your Blog Posts Using Social Media: A Guide for Marketers courtesy of Social Media Examiner (May 2017)
How To Promote Your Blog: 101 (Free) Ways To Boost Traffic written by Karen Evans, the founder of Start Blogging Online.
31 ways to promote your blog courtesy of Stuart at NicheHacks (good stuff in here).
Rebekah Radice’s post 25 Smart ways to promote your latest blog post will also give you some good ideas.
14 ways to promote your blog posts after you publish was written earlier this year by Jessie Joathome across at BlogHer and is worth reading.
Samuel Pustea wrote this useful article 50 ways to promote and market your blog post.
There’s a nice infographic at Marketing Land showing 30 ways to promote your blog posts.
And another infographic entitled 9 powerful blog promotion tactics can be seen across at Social Marketing Writing.
Thank you for reading. If you’ve enjoyed this post please do share it.